What fish can live without oxygen
Many captive aquarium fish cannot do without regular oxygen aeration of the water, but not all. There are some fish that can do without oxygen, these include the so-called Creepy-headed fish, formerly called the Labyrinthici (Latin Labyrinthici), a suborder of ray-finned fish of the Caterpillar order (Anabantiformes), which have a labyrinth organ that allows the fish to breathe additional atmospheric oxygen .
The labyrinth organ itself is a plate that is pierced by a multitude of blood vessels located in the supra-gill cavity.
In total, there are more than 100 species of labyrinth fish belonging to 18 genera. These fish are usually small in size.
The most popular in Russia of which are:
- Fighting fish (Betta splendens);
- Labiosis (Trichogaster labiosus);
- Lyalius (Colisa lalia);
- Macropod (Macropodus opercularis);
- Kissing gourami (Helostoma temminkii);
- Honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna);
- Pearl gourami (Trichogaster leerii);
- Spotted gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus).
Conditions for keeping fish without oxygen
You should always remember that any aquarium without filtration and aeration requires more thorough care, which should include:
- The correct selection of fish inhabiting it, depending on the size of the aquarium, you should correctly calculate the number of fish, if you have an aquarium of 50 liters in size, you should not start more than 5-7 fish.
- Regular cleaning of the soil with a siphon, it is necessary to do this at least 1 time per week, with this cleaning you will clean up the waste activities of your pets.
- To replace 1/3 of the water in the aquarium every 2-3 days, it is better to use water for substitution previously settled for at least 1 day.
- Carefully monitor the general condition of the fish for the timely detection of diseases.