We buy a curbstone under an aquarium
When buying a cabinet for an aquarium, you need to consider some important points.
- Weight of the aquarium after filling it with water. When determining the weight of the aquarium, it should be assumed that for every four liters of water there are five kilograms of the weight of a full aquarium. This means that even a small aquarium can be quite difficult. Therefore, care must be taken to ensure that the cabinet is strong enough to support the weight of the aquarium. That is why you should not place the aquarium on furniture that is not intended for this purpose, since the furniture itself may suffer from this, first of all.
- Depending on the material used to make the aquarium, which can be either acrylic or glass, the requirements for the cabinet will differ. For an acrylic aquarium, you should buy a cabinet that supports it both over the entire length and over the entire width. A glass aquarium needs a cabinet supporting it in four corners.
- The aquarium cabinet serves not only as a support for the aquarium, but also as a storage place for equipment, accessories and feed. This greatly facilitates the process of feeding and cleaning the aquarium, as everything you need is at hand. In addition, in this case, the food for aquarium fish will be hidden from your eyes, and you will be spared the temptation to feed the fish once again.
- With the right choice of cabinets for the aquarium, she can decorate the room. Indeed, almost all manufacturers of aquariums and aquarium cabinets care about the selection of creative design and the transformation of cabinets into an elegant piece of furniture. Quite often, the model of the aquarium is taken into account when making the cabinet, and the material used matches the design of the aquarium. Take some time to find the right cabinet for the aquarium, and it will certainly become the main attraction of the room.
What else you need to know:
- Features of pedestals for an aquarium
- Varieties of stands and stands
- Buying finished or do it yourself
- Where can I buy
- How to make a do-it-yourself aquarium code cabinet
Features of pedestals for an aquarium
So, we already know that special durability requirements are placed on the cabinet under the aquarium. Let's determine what features a stand or stand should have on which it will be safe for your aquarium.
- Structural strength. The cabinet should cope with the weight of the aquarium, there should be no deflections on the lid and various vibrations and reels (lack of legs and wheels). Vertical supports must be present - they increase strength and distribute the weight load.
- Waterproof countertop material. During the care of the fish, water will inevitably fall on the furniture elements, a high-quality waterproof surface of the countertop will extend the life of the unit and maintain its appearance.
- Special compartments for storing fish care equipment (nets, feeders, brushes) and food that does not require a refrigerator (dry food).
- Made of durable materials: wood, particleboard, MDF, metal.
Varieties of stands and stands
When choosing a stand for an aquarium, you should pay attention not only to the appearance and shape of the product, size, but also to the material from which this product is made. Let's take a closer look at all the varieties.
According to the material:
- wood, particleboard, MDF;
- stone, granite.
- big ones.
The most popular option is a rectangular pedestal made of wood or medium-sized chipboard.
Buying finished or do it yourself
Buying a finished one in the store or making one yourself is probably the most popular question that newly-made owners of the aquarium ask themselves. Let's look at the pros and cons of each option.
Buy ready-made at the store
The simplest of the available options, we will dwell on it in more detail.
- Guaranteed high quality products;
- Stylish appearance;
- Dimensions for most typical aquariums;
- The presence of lockers for storage of aquarium equipment.
- Limited choice in the store;
- High price;
- Shipping must be paid if it is not included in the purchase price.
Do it yourself
A relatively difficult option, but less expensive if you have the necessary skills.
This option is also used in cases where the aquarium is home-made and does not have standard sizes.
- The cost is lower than the finished version in the store, unless, of course, expensive materials are used during the creation;
- Size and appearance can be any.
- “Straight arms” and all necessary tools are needed;
- It is necessary to correctly calculate the load on the cabinet so that it does not break under the aquarium standing on it;
- It is necessary to purchase the necessary material in advance.
Where can I buy
You can always buy a ready-made cabinet for an aquarium in the same pet store where fish are sold. In some cities there are special departments in the markets where you can also buy a stand.
On our site you can find the addresses of stores in your city or use the search in Yandex or Google.
And, of course, do not forget about online stores for aquarists.
|Pet Shop||Online store||Market|
|Large selection of products.||+||+||-|
|Warranty on the purchased goods.||+||+||-|
How to make a DIY aquarium code cabinet
So, you have sufficient knowledge of the basic features of furniture and tools in order to make a cabinet under the aquarium with your own hands.
The countertop is best made from a strong wooden plate or take as a basis the countertop for the kitchen. Particleboard is better not to use for this, since this material has a risk of bending under the weight of your aquarium.
Partitions are needed to give rigidity to the structure. Best of all, if they are mounted at a distance of 25 to 50 centimeters from each other, this will allow you to evenly distribute the load. If you have a cabinet length of 1 meter, then in addition to 2 sidewalls, we put 2 more partitions.
Particular attention must be paid to the height of the cabinet, it is not recommended to make the height more than 80 - 90 centimeters, so that the design is more stable. Technical holes for hoses and wires are best done on the back wall.
It is better to tighten the sidewalls and countertops with the help of Euro bolts, the same ones are used when assembling furniture.
As a bonus, we suggest you watch a video on how to make a bedside table under the aquarium with your own hands, the duration is about half an hour.